Topic: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 12:57 PM

Karl M. Bunday

Re: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?

John (Sky Rookie) wrote, in reply to my question opening the thread:

>> Hi, everyone,
>>
>> I wonder what you would suggest as a best textbook for a first
>> high-school-level geometry course for talented students? I'm trying
>> to gather information to make a suggestion to a local mathematics
>> program. I am aware of one program that formerly used Gene Murrow
>> and Serge Lang's textbook Geometry (Springer-Verlag) and in recent
>> years has used Michael Serra's textbook Discovering Geometry (Key
>> Curriculum Press). Another textbook I have never seen, but have
>> heard of being used at gifted magnet schools is Geometry for
>> Enjoyment and Challenge (McDougall Littell), which has VERY MIXED
>> reviews on Amazon.com
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0866099654/

> FWIW this is the book that was used in every school I've had a preclinical
> in.

Hi, do you mean the Lang and Murrow book, or the Geometry for Enjoyment
and Challenge book?

> I've taught out of it for an honors class, and have found it to be a
> great book. The only problem I may have with it is the format of pages, it's
> all in black and red. To me that is pretty boring, I like colorful
> textbooks.

Well, I like four-color illustrations on slick paper as much as the next
guy, but they had better be doing something to advance the understanding
of the content in a math textbook. Some of the illustrations in the
Serra textbook, although pretty, are smarmy wastes of time and ink.

> However, content wise it's a great book.

If you are referring to Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge (aren't
you?), does that book include content on transformations and other more
"modern" topics of high school geometry?

Thanks for your reply.

P.S. As in my previous reply to N. Silver, my apologies for the trash
message posted with a spoofing of my name.
--
Karl M. Bunday P.O. Box 1456, Minnetonka MN 55345
Learn in Freedom (TM) http://learninfreedom.org/