Topic: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 12:57 PM

Nat Silver

Re: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?

Karl M. Bunday wrote:
> N. Silver wrote:

>> Look at: Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint, Third Edition
>> [FACSIMILE] by Edwin Moise. It's the one I would use. Read the reviews
>> on Amazon.com.

> I have that book at hand too, and like it. I think I bought it
> originally because of the Amazon reviews that were posted
> as of early 2001. It's approach is quite different, because it
> starts out looking a lot like Landau's Grundlagen der Analysis,...

LOL. You're right. This text might be a bad gamble.

> and gets into geometry proper (mostly from an analytical point
> of view rather than synthetic)

which is what the course should be about?!

> only after laying a foundation of the ordered field properties of the real
> numbers. I would love to have anyone I know take a course in geometry
> based on that textbook: I wonder if the program I know of would dare to
> try it out?

1.) Here's another stab: Geometry by Ray Jurgensen, Richard G. Brown,
which you can look inside at Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395977274/ref=sib_rdr_dp/104-1790268-8707900

2.) Here's a reference to an old-fashioned, dry book by Welchons, Plane
Geometry.

3.) Another classic is: Basic Geometry by George David Birkhoff, Ralph
Beatley, which you also can look inside at Amazon.com.