The Math Forum

Topic: what is the function for a swastica?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 27, 2002 11:31 AM

John E. Prussing

Re: what is the function for a swastica?

In <9uqtn2$r53@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> kovarik@mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA (Zdislav V. Kovarik) writes:

>In article <1f41ie9.1s7ffrpi9i12aN%eijkhout@cs.utk.edu>,
>Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout@cs.utk.edu> wrote:
>:UFO_Charlie <Dan@thernf.combobulate.com> wrote:
>:
>:> Also, as a sidenote, it should be noted that I in no way
>:> condone Naziism, or the display of the swastika symbol; in
>:> fact, I find both to be pretty repulsive.
>:
>:The swastika is far older than nazism. There are plenty of
>:displays of it in world art that are absolutely not
>:objectionable.
>:
>:V.

>It was reported that Hitler found the symbol as a detail of a
>window painting in a Catholic church in Salzburg, and became
>fascinated by it.

>ZVK(Slavek).

That's interesting; I hadn't heard that. One often sees it referred to
as an ancient symbol. Its mirror image appears in very early (American)
Indian art.
--
John E. Prussing
Department of Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering