Topic: what is the function for a swastica?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 27, 2002 11:31 AM

lydia

Re: what is the function for a swastica?

prussing@uiuc.edu (John E. Prussing) wrote in message news:<PjdQ7.1555$tg4.18728@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...
> In <9uqtn2$r53@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> kovarik@mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA (Zdislav V. Kovarik) writes:
>

> >In article <1f41ie9.1s7ffrpi9i12aN%eijkhout@cs.utk.edu>,
> >Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout@cs.utk.edu> wrote:
> >:UFO_Charlie <Dan@thernf.combobulate.com> wrote:
> >:
> >:> Also, as a sidenote, it should be noted that I in no way
> >:> condone Naziism, or the display of the swastika symbol; in
> >:> fact, I find both to be pretty repulsive.
> >:
> >:The swastika is far older than nazism. There are plenty of
> >:displays of it in world art that are absolutely not
> >:objectionable.
> >:
> >:V.

> >It was reported that Hitler found the symbol as a detail of a
> >window painting in a Catholic church in Salzburg, and became
> >fascinated by it.

> >ZVK(Slavek).
>
> That's interesting; I hadn't heard that. One often sees it referred to
> as an ancient symbol. Its mirror image appears in very early (American)
> Indian art.

Swatika was an old greek symbol, I think for good luck. It is created
of 4 Gamma's. Gamma is also a greek symbol for the number 3. So it
denotes the nubmer 12 (3*4=12) which was a number related to religion
(12 gods)