Topic: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 12:57 PM

Bill Dubuque

Re: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?

"Karl M. Bunday" <kmbunday@yahoo.de.com> writes:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I wonder what you would suggest as a best textbook for a first
> high-school-level geometry course for talented students? I'm trying to
> gather information to make a suggestion to a local mathematics program.
> I am aware of one program that formerly used Gene Murrow and Serge
> Lang's textbook Geometry (Springer-Verlag) and in recent years has used
> Michael Serra's textbook Discovering Geometry (Key Curriculum Press).
> Another textbook I have never seen, but have heard of being used at
> gifted magnet schools is Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge (McDougall
> Littell), which has VERY MIXED reviews on Amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0866099654/
>
> What do you think? If you were recommending a textbook for a class of
> students selected for high math ability taking a first secondary-level
> geometry course, what would you recommend? What do you like about your
> preferred textbook?

The following should prove very stimulating

Geometry, by David A. Brannan, Matthew F. Esplen, Jeremy J. Gray

--Bill Dubuque