Topic: Need help figuring out a pattern
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 22, 2005 10:10 PM

Kevin Karplus

Re: Need help figuring out a pattern

In article <q333v0pog13mpmplf2ggd9oi0js1q3e1kh@4ax.com>, Mary Shevock wrote:
> The pattern is
>
> 127, 863 12, 789 _______ 135 18
>
> This is exactly how the problem is presented to me.
>
> I am racking my brain to figure out the way of the pattern. If any
> math whiz out there can give me insight, thanks a million. I have
> been given the answer to the underline: 1287, but for the life of me,
> I cannot find out why! The commas and spaces are throwing me off!

The extra spaces in the problem make the pattern hard to see.
Rewrite it:

127863
12789
1287
135
18
9

and the pattern should be much clearer.

Kevin Karplus karplus@soe.ucsc.edu http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.