Topic: Need help figuring out a pattern
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 22, 2005 10:10 PM

Jeffrey Turner

Re: Need help figuring out a pattern

Mary Shevock wrote:

> The pattern is
> 127, 863 12, 789 _______ 135 18
> This is exactly how the problem is presented to me.
> I am racking my brain to figure out the way of the pattern. If any
> math whiz out there can give me insight, thanks a million. I have
> been given the answer to the underline: 1287, but for the life of me,
> I cannot find out why! The commas and spaces are throwing me off!
> Thanks so much!
> Mary
> in Pittsburgh, PA

The problem is the spaces after the commas, they should not be
there. Then just split the rightmost digit off each number and
add it to the rest.

It is only those who have neither
fired a shot nor heard the shrieks
and groans of the wounded who cry
aloud for blood, more vengeance, more
desolation. War is hell.
--William Tecumseh Sherman

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.
--Jose Narosky

The urge to save humanity is almost
always a false front for the urge to
--H.L. Mencken