Topic: Please help me simplify this expression.
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 24, 2005 2:20 AM

George Cox

Re: Please help me simplify this expression.

aaronhunter@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello. I have the following expression. I have got it figured out
> except I am missing a minor detail that is causing me to have 2x+1
> instead of 2(x+1) in my final numerator. Please help!
> Note that x^1 is (x to the first power) ^-(1/2) is to the negative 1/2
> power etc...
> Problem: [x(x+2)^-(1/2) + (x+2)^(1/2) ] / (x+2)^(3/2)
> I first separate out the problem and combine the lower exponents to get

Well that's wrong! I'm not sure what "combine the lower exponents"
means but I'd proceed as follows. You have

x(x + 2)^{-1/2} + (x + 2)^{1/2}
(x + 2)^{3/2}

multiply top and bottom by (x + 2)^{1/2} to get

x + (x + 2)
(x + 2)^2

2(x + 1)
(x + 2)^2