Topic: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Replies: 30   Last Post: Feb 15, 2002 4:44 PM

Robin Chapman

Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians

"D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to> wrote in message

> Robin Chapman <rjc@maths.ex.ac.uk> wrote:
> > And from P = NP, I doubt one could "solve" most theorems in "pure"
> > mathematics.

> If P=NP then there is an algorithm with the following property: if the
> input is a theorem for which there exists a proof of length n, then the
> time is n^{O(1)}, and the output is a proof.

Very nice, but the question whether there is a proof of a given
statement would still remain elusive.

Robin Chapman

Date Subject Author
2/6/02
Read Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
P M
2/6/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Robin Chapman
2/6/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
D. J. Bernstein
2/7/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Robin Chapman
2/6/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Gus Gassmann
2/6/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Carsten Friedrich
2/7/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Alex Binca
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David A Molnar
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David A Molnar
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Alex Binca
2/7/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Dan Kotlow
2/7/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
m.a.jones01
2/7/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
maneesh
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Christian Bau
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
m.a.jones01
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
don@cmtzone.net
2/11/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
don@cmtzone.net
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
P M
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David A Molnar
2/8/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
M. Kirszbraun
2/11/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Keith Ramsay
2/11/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David Eppstein
2/11/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
denis feldmann
2/11/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David Eppstein
2/12/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Mike Oliver
2/15/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Mike Mccarty Sr
2/12/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Alex Binca
2/12/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
David Eppstein
2/12/02
Read Re: Naive question about P=NP and the future of mathematicians
Robert Israel