Topic: fourth grade geometry question???
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 3, 2008 3:14 PM

Walter Whiteley

Re: fourth grade geometry question???

The way I would approach this, and the way I anticipate a grade four
student should approach this is with imagination and examples. Try
some shapes (with a drawing program, with some sticks, etc.) Look at a
variety of examples and find one that fits the properties listed.

Take a parallelogram and say -what if I take these edges in a different
order?
Do I still have pairs of sides of equal length? What changes, what is
the same?

Doing this kind of playing around, and asking what if, is good
mathematics. Giving examples in a reference book does little to assist
the essential learning which can happen here. In fact, it feeds a
misperception of what mathematics is, and what children can do in
mathematics.

There may be a gap in communicating this sense of play, and
experimentation to children (and parents) - but the goal is great and I
encourage this approach.

Walter Whiteley

On 31-Jan-05, at 11:04 PM, Melinda wrote:

On 28 Aug 02 23:22:36 -0400 (EDT), Diane wrote:
> Draw a quadrangle that has 2 pairs of equal sides but is NOT a
> parallelogram.
> Does this seem like 4th grade to anyone? I finally got the answer but
> we have no book to use as a reference.

I know you posted this last week but I am in the same boat. My 4th
grader as a geometry sheet for homework and I am lost. We do not have
a book to go by either. What is wrong with this system?? It has been
almost 20 yrs. since graduated much less did geometry. I am looking to
fing out what type of shape has four sides that are not equal.