Topic: 7th grade statistics
Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 10, 2005 6:30 PM

Guess who

Re: 7th grade statistics

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:44:47 GMT, Kevin Karplus
<karplus@cheep.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:

>I would argue that basic statistics is more important than many of the
>other concepts that are taught in math classes (certainly more
>important than ruler-and-compass constructions).

But neither should compasses anr ruler constructions be taugth at that
age, and for the same reasons.

> Every citizen who
>votes should be able to read a bar chart and a scatter diagram, and
>should understand why talking about "average income" is highly
>misleading.

We are talking about 5-yr olds here, not "citizens". They can meet
the concept later on with a more mature mind [piaget again] and handle
it a lot more readily ...if they are prepared otherwise. What is
lacking in the philosophy that anything can be taught at any time if
it is made simple enough is that the time spent on the "elements" of
many topics could be better spent on the time to learn variations of,
and then at least some mastery of fewer topics of more general
application. All we are seeing is a new name for what was once called
"The spiral approach to learning." which simply failed, as students
did *not* retain what they had learned in order to continue from the
point left, and which then reuired much, and continuous review ...and
still does. It's like reading a large book by taking a few words form
each chapter, and then he next day a few more. Surely it is better
from beginning to end without interrrupion.