Topic: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Replies: 65   Last Post: Mar 4, 2002 1:36 PM

mareg@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk

Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument

In article <cca46c2a.0202140707.71e86d9f@posting.google.com>,
aviles94@email.msn.com (Henry) writes:
>mareg@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk () wrote in message news:<a4g5no$ova$1@wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...
>> I am sorry but my opinion remains unchanged. I honestly cannot understand
>> how anyone can spend an hour or so reading about a topic that has been
>> thought about and studied in detail for more than a hundred a years by some
>> of the keenest minds on the planet, and then assert that it is all rubbish.
>> That applies not just to mathematics, but to any serious object of study,
>> whether it is relativity, evolution, philosophy, art, music.
>>

> Derek, if everyone would think like you do, then there would be no
>progress.
>For how many years people thought the earth was flat???!!! Is it a sin
>to question what's been "studied in detail"? I'm not saying that *I*
>will find any new theorems or fix any flaws in Cantor's views. If
>people become afraid to ask, question or criticize anything beacuse
>it's been accepted by most people then new ideas will never surface
>and progress will stall. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by using
>the word "absurd".

OK, I may have over-reacted to your use of "absurd", which I interpreted
as meaning "This stuff is all nonsense". If so I apologise.
But if you did mean to say "This is all nonsense" then I stand by what I
said! You need to really understand something properly before you can
sensibly start to question it.

Derek Holt.

Date Subject Author
2/13/02
Read Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Henry
2/13/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Andy Berget
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Mike Oliver
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Doug Norris
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Keith Keller
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Mike Oliver
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dave Seaman
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dave Seaman
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Bob Kolker
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dave Seaman
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Seth Dutter
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
mareg@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Nico Benschop
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
mareg@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Willondon
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Henry
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Doug Magnoli
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
mareg@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Nico Benschop
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument (re finite case)
Nico Benschop
2/15/02
Read cancel <3C6CD566.97EA8F20@chello.nl>
Nico Benschop
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Nico Benschop
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dave Seaman
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Herman Jurjus
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dave Seaman
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Torkel Franzen
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Virgil
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Virgil
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Virgil
2/18/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/18/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Virgil
2/19/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/19/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Virgil
2/19/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
3/4/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Alexey Dejneka
3/4/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Torkel Franzen
3/4/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Alan Stern
2/16/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Chip Eastham
2/20/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
SRK
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dale Hurliman
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Randy Poe
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Henry
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Randy Poe
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Wade Ramey
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
nospam@auerbachatunity.ncsu.edu
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Chris Menzel
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Dudley Brooks
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Phil Carmody
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Jim Heckman
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Randy Poe
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
LarryLard
2/18/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Harlan Messinger
2/14/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
George Greene
2/15/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Duran Castore
2/18/02
Read Re: Problem with Cantor's diagonal argument
Jonathan Hoyle