The Math Forum

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 22, 2002 12:58 PM

Virgil

Re: [JSH/HSJ] Another document of P.d.Fermat discovered

In article <a730hu$ebj$2@news.fas.harvard.edu>,
lawrence froopthoid <not@really.com> wrote:

> Gottfried Helms <helms@hrz.uni-kassel.de> wrote:
> [snip]

> > I was not able to write it down in explicite form for y; but
> > possibly someone with a CAS is able to do that.
> > In the meantime I searched with brute force for solutions
> > in x and y for the term to be zero. The plotted result was an astonishing
> > example of math-of-objects (an early OOM?).

> [snip]
>

> anyone care to post a gif or jpg of the plot somewhere on the web?

I should have thought that "math-of-objects" was more like MOO that
OOM.

And a backwards version of anything proposed by JSH (or HSJ) is more
likely to be true than the forward version.