Topic: Intersection of Cylinders
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 23, 2005 11:43 AM

MJ

Re: Intersection of Cylinders

"Paul Ciszek" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Picture two Cylinders of radius r that intersect at right angles.
> The volume common to both cylinders is a funny looking shape that
> is round in cross section in two directions and square in the third.
> It will smoothly roll in two orthogonal directions.

> I tried to find the volume of this shape, and I get 16r^3/3.
> I would have expected pi to turn up in there somewhere, but
> it doesn't.

No, it doessn't. The volume is the sum of rectangular slices. So, no Pi.
[ If the cylinders are: x^2 + z^2 = a^2 ; y^2 + z^2 = a^2 ,
Then the plane: z = c where ( -a .LE. c .LE. a )
is a rectangular cut of the solid of intersection. ]