Topic: fingermath...any studies?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 3, 2005 9:14 PM

Guess who

Re: fingermath...any studies?

On Tue, 31 May 2005 03:40:29 GMT, kalanamak <kalanamak@qwest.net>
wrote:

>I bring up fingermath and it is
>as if I'm doing magic tricks. I get wows and "can you do...".

When someone asks one of my students to multiply 7 x 8, he gets the
correct response immediately. That gets "wows", and "You didn't even
use your fingers!" In later years he wows them with his skills in
calculus, where he still uses his brain and sometimes hard-earned
memory-recall, and sees that 'tricks' now take far too much time and
effort. Perhaps he should do a tour on stage.

Teach them skills that will apply forever, not just short-term
shortcuts that only give the appearance. It's mathematics, not magic.
This topic was discussed and discarded many years ago.