Topic: Math Word Problem
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 31, 2005 4:05 PM

Gideon

Re: Math Word Problem

"Graduate students of physics and the like" most certainly do
work on word problems. I spent some time in the past working
in a research physics lab. Every research assignment I received
was a "word problem."

Gideon

==================

Jim Spriggs wrote in message
<428A7EE9.1C14931E@ANTISPAMbtinternet.com.invalid>...

needmathhelp wrote:

> Does anybody know a math word problem that it would be impossible
> for a fourth grader to figure out. I am a teacher in the gifted and
> talented program in my school and I teach smart fourth graders. I had
> to resort to placing particle physics in my lesson plans to get them
> stumped. They understand string theory now. I need more hard stuff.
> Please post anything hard.

What are pupils who understand string theory doing word problems for?
String theory is the sort of thing that graduate students of physics
understand. Graduate students of physics and the like don't do word
problems.