Topic: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Replies: 163   Last Post: Jun 20, 2005 1:03 AM

Lee Rudolph

Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)

Chan-Ho Suh <suh@math.ucdavis.nospam.edu> writes:

>I must admit to being puzzled here, Robin. I think I understand where
>you're coming from about "British English"; the variety of English
>spoken in Great Britain, Ireland, and surrounding islands should not be
>grouped together under the misleading umbrella of "British English".

And yet it is by working linguists, as demonstrated by their
canonical best reference on the subject, cited in my earlier
post to this thread. More precisely, British English (BrE)
does not include Scots English nor Hiberno-English (nor yet
Lallans Scots which is "more like a separate language than a
regional dialect").

My diagnosis is that Robin, having seen what fun some people
have by pigheaded trolling, but being unwilling to indulge
himself in the mathematical version thereof, has found a
hobbyhorse--or hobbypig--of his own, and will ride it to
death as long as anyone replies to him, if not longer.

Lee Rudolph

Date Subject Author
6/13/05
Read Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
David Petry
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Barb Knox
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robert Low
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/14/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
[...]
Read Grammar was Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Matt Gutting
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Randy Poe
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
stephen@nomail.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Clifford J. Nelson
6/15/05
[...]
Read Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
[...]
Daniel Ryan
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Russell Blackadar
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
G. A. Edgar
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Dave Rusin
6/17/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Keith Ramsay
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Virgil
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Jim Sprigs
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Gerry Myerson
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
W. Dale Hall
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Tom Traubert
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/18/05
[...]
Richard Tobin
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dik T. Winter
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Darren
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chris Menzel
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
jirka@5z.com
6/20/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
fishfry
6/14/05
[...]
Starx
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Mark Nudelman
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Poker Joker
6/14/05
[...]
David C. Ullrich
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chas Brown
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Asimov
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Martin Semerád
6/17/05