Topic: Concertchat experiences
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jun 17, 2005 8:03 PM

Stephen Weimar

Re: Concertchat experiences

The Virtual Math Teams project (which brought us ConcertChat) is planning to run problem-solving chat sessions next year but we haven't yet settled on the format or contexts. As Craig mentioned elsewhere we've been doing various small experiments trying to understand how students will use a live chat environment for problem solving and what we can do to enhance the experience, both so that they want to keep doing it and so that they learn ways to improve their learning in groups.

We are ready to try something more regular and begin to look at issues of grouping and scaffolding we can provide to encourage reflection on collaboration and mathematical problem-solving.

I think it might work very well to have a series of these conducted in the context of a 3d course, or statistics, or other topics.

Let me know if you want to pursue this further.

-- Steve