Topic: Concave Polygons and Exterior/Interior Angles
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 16, 2005 3:18 PM

raylee821

Re: Concave Polygons and Exterior/Interior Angles

Thanks for all of the great responses.

Thank you Kevin for noticing the mistake. I did mean a generalization
for the exterior angles of a concave polygon.

These were all great responses, but the reason I am asking is that I am
currently working with a company that is developing curriculum for
middle/high school students who need to review the basics before
jumping into algebra. A part of the curriculum covers basic geometry
the students should know, but never quite understood or learned. The
point is that this isn't supposed to be a full blown geometry course.

We are trying to state that for any polygon, the sum of the exterior
angles is always 360. But we will state this without discussing the
difference between a concave or convex polygon.(Because of the limited
amount of space.)

At this stage in the program, students have not yet covered negative
numbers, so the concept of considering the exterior angles to be
negative at concave vertices would seem very foreign to most of them.
For that reason, we are afraid of saying this generalization applies to
ANY polygon because we will only supply examples of convex polygons.

Does everyone agree that we should just distinguish between concave and
convex polygons and THEN talk about the sum of the exterior angles of a
concave polygon, and leave the explanation of how it applies to convex
polygons to their future geometry teachers?

Thanks again for the help and my apologies for the run-on sentences.