The Math Forum

Topic: Which Polynomial?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 27, 2006 3:13 PM

Pam

Re: Which Polynomial?

> On Jul 30, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Kirby Urner wrote:
>

> > We're talking about phi ('fie' -- not 'pi' and not
> 'fee').
>
> Actually, a scholar in classics once told me that
> it's 'fee'--and ought
> to be 'pee' rather than 'pie'.
>
> --Lou Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl>

I think that's right, and I was interested to learn that the Romans used "ph" to represent the Greek letter phi and pronounced the ph separately, similar to the ph in "loophole." Perhaps even "fee" isn't quite the correct ancient pronunciation for phi.

Pam