The Math Forum

Topic: Which Polynomial?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 27, 2006 3:13 PM

Victor Steinbok

Re: Which Polynomial?

At 07:25 PM 7/30/2005, Kirby Urner wrote:
> > Actually, a scholar in classics once told me that
> > it's 'fee'--and ought to be 'pee' rather than 'pie'.
> >
> > --Lou Talman

>English speakers already have it pegged as fie. Like, go to
>http://www.answers.com/phi&r=67 and click on the little speaker icon to
>hear how the manly voice says it. That should be good enough for the NCLB.

Uh... no more so than the pronunciation of the plural of "fungus". You may
be a fun guy, Kirby, but you're wrong on this one.

>More to the point, some authoritative texts insist the greek letter tau is
>more normally used to signify 1.618... and phi its reciprocal
>(0.618...). That's precisely the opposite convention from what I favor. [1]

This is so superficial, it is not deserving of your attention. I'd put it
even lower in priority than maintaining the mx+b fake convention.

>Mathematics is just *full* of these little cultural
>contingencies. Sigh. Let's go back to teaching at least the greek
>letters, along with those silly Roman numerals.

True enough. At least, we should get past alpha, pi and theta (and, for
some of us, epsilon and delta :-))

VS-)