The Math Forum

Topic: Which Polynomial?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 27, 2006 3:13 PM

Victor Steinbok

Re: Which Polynomial?

At 02:06 AM 8/2/2005, Wayne Bishop wrote:
>Except for kids of semi-affluent semi-educated parents who are headed for
>a superior score in AP Calculus. Extrapolate to life success.

That's right, kids! Extrapolate your AP Calculus scores to life success. So
if you get a 3 or a 2, you must be a failure and you might as well go and
kill yourself. Or become a garbage collector. Or President.

I still haven't quite figured out what Wayne's truism implies about those
who don't take the test.

>With that qualification, Lou is correct; for the unwashed masses there is
>no canon.

Funny, Wayne, really funny.

In case it was not clear from my original statement, I implied that ideas
that are meant ONLY as recommendations mistakenly are taken to become
"standards" in the bureaucratic process, so I am actually in agreement with
Lou. Note that I am not implying in any way that only the loony absolutists
such as Wayne create this problem. I can cite several examples where well
intentioned reformers incorporate something that clearly was meant only as
an illustration of a concept into various standards. The irony is that in
some of those cases, it is the absolutist traditionalist loons who were
responsible for enshrining these examples into the curricula.

VS