The Math Forum

Topic: Which Polynomial?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 27, 2006 3:13 PM

Victor Steinbok

Re: Which Polynomial?

At 01:02 PM 8/2/2005, Wayne Bishop wrote:
>At 08:51 AM 8/2/2005, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>>At 02:06 AM 8/2/2005, Wayne Bishop wrote:
>>>Except for kids of semi-affluent semi-educated parents who are headed
>>>for a superior score in AP Calculus. Extrapolate to life success.

>>That's right, kids! Extrapolate your AP Calculus scores to life success.
>>So if you get a 3 or a 2, you must be a failure

>There's a small problem here, but a well recognized one in the standard
>toolkit of fallacious reasoning and snake-oil sales; a statement and its
>inverse need not be logically equivalent. It is especially obvious in
>this case where an AP Calculus score of even a 2 *does* indicate a student
>following the low to middle class canon of academic and life success. But
>not a 1 and not AP Calculus on the high school transcript but no ETS score
>at all.

I find it telling that Wayne responded to the remark said clearly in jest.
Yet, he failed to comment on the more important statement that followed.
This is not to say that what he said at all was reasonable.

In case he missed, here it is again:

I still haven't quite figured out what Wayne's truism implies about those
who don't take the test.

VS-)