Topic: trick question
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 1, 2009 10:16 AM

Patrick Hamlyn

Re: trick question

"muser" <charlie12345@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I heard this one from a friend, who in turn heard it broadcast on
>radio. If a bat and a ball cost $1.10. the bat is said to be $1 more
>than the ball, how much does the ball cost.
>The answer threw me. I will reveal the answer as I want to know how it
>is possible to come up with the answer and still be right.
>The ball cost 5 cents.
>Can anyone explain it in lay terms.

In lay terms?? It's already in lay terms, that's where your problem lies. You
want the mapping from the lay terms to mathematical terms:

1.05 is 1 more than 0.05 ("the bat is said to be $1 more than the ball"), and
0.05 plus 1.05 is 1.10 ("a bat and a ball cost $1.10")
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere