The Math Forum

Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 22, 2005 9:16 PM

Al Coons

[ap-stat] Re: r^2

Brian...you might the short PowerPoint presentation on our website
helpful. Keep hitting the spacebar and have your students describe
what appears. While this is a one point simplification and you can
argue it misses some of the fine points, it seems to help with the
understanding for most students.

You will find it at

http://www.bbn-school.org/us/math/ap_stats/

under

Investigate-Explain/Downloadable PowerPoint Presentations/
Understanding r-squared.

Make sure you get the PowerPoint file, not the Word file with the
same title higher up on the page. You might find that exercise handy
also though.

Al
-------------------------
Albert Coons
al_coons@bbns.org
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School
Gerry's Landing Road
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 800-2264

AP Statistics Web Site: www.bbn-school.org/us/math/ap_stats

On Sep 22, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Seitz, Brian M wrote:

> I am using the YMM textbook, and my students are having trouble
> understanding the interpretation of r^2. What is the best way to
> explain this to them? For example, if r^2 = .6, what determines the
> other .4 of the variation? Would it make sense to say that if r^2 for
> wife's height and husband's height is .6, then the other .4 of the
> variation is accounted for by other variables? Thanks, Brian Seitz
> Northview HS Duluth, GA

====
Course related websites:
AP Central: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/stats
FAQ: http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm
Archives: http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=67

ap-stat is an Electronic Discussion Group (EDG) of The College Board, 45 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10023-6992

To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, please use the list website:
http://lyris.collegeboard.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=ap-stat

Send questions about the list to owner-ap-stat@lyris.collegeboard.com