Topic: Seeking lessons on scatter diagrams
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 6, 2005 2:30 PM

Peter

Re: Seeking lessons on scatter diagrams

I am a teaching assistant in basic university statistics courses. I
help teach engineers, science students and business students. Teaching
them sensible graphing using a ruler(choosing the right intervals etc
and axis) and graphing using a software such as Minitab or SAS is what
we do. We generally teach this with linear regression. This seems to
make a good solid end to scatter plots. Regressions are powerful and
for general use can be affective. They are also too powerful for some
uses as these models can be misused. We try to teach this too about the
validity of a regression model. There are more advanced course in just
regressions.

again I would suggest a basic statistics textbook from university for
this work.

Peter Timusk, B.Math, just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.