Topic: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Replies: 90   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 PM

Joe Hendrix

Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability

Randy wrote:
> It's no surprise to me. IMHO, its because of its abstract terminology
> (and the consequential confusion among non-theorists) that complexity
> theory is almost entirely ignored by the professional CS community.
> IMHO, this is because: 1) it's poorly explained by those who understand
> it, and 2) it's deemed irrelevant by just about everyone, including many
> who understand it better than I.

I'm pretty skeptical of your claim that complexity theory is ignored by
almost the entire professional CS community. Certainly, many
programmers can get by without understanding it, but the same thing is
true for anything -- most programmers can get by without knowing C++.

NP completeness is a very basic property. I'd be hard pressed to name
any big names in computer science that would deem NP completeness and
basic complexity theory irrelevant.

Date Subject Author
10/25/05
Read On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
ianparker2@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
osmium
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ed Prochak
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Gene
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
MartDowd
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Wim Benthem
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
KP Bhat
stephen@nomail.com
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
googmeister@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
C6L1V@shaw.ca
[...]
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/27/05
[...]
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Joe Hendrix
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ben Rudiak-Gould
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pekka Orponen
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Michael J. Hennebry
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Oliver Wong
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Robert Israel
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Torkel Franzen
11/1/05
[...]
Pat Farrell
10/25/05
Read On what "NP-Hard" means; was: Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson