Topic: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Replies: 90   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 PM

Randy

Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability

Joe Hendrix wrote:
> Randy wrote:
>

>>It's no surprise to me. IMHO, its because of its abstract terminology
>>(and the consequential confusion among non-theorists) that complexity
>>theory is almost entirely ignored by the professional CS community.
>>IMHO, this is because: 1) it's poorly explained by those who understand
>>it, and 2) it's deemed irrelevant by just about everyone, including many
>>who understand it better than I.

> I'm pretty skeptical of your claim that complexity theory is ignored by
> almost the entire professional CS community. Certainly, many
> programmers can get by without understanding it, but the same thing is
> true for anything -- most programmers can get by without knowing C++.
>
> NP completeness is a very basic property. I'd be hard pressed to name
> any big names in computer science that would deem NP completeness and
> basic complexity theory irrelevant.

Perhaps that's because it doesn't serve them to make the argument. Why
pick fights that aren't worth the trouble? (I'm certainly sympathetic
to this argument at the moment...)

As it happens, I've seen several AI professors over the years try to
integrate CC into practical domains, in an attempt to give depth and
perspective to their technique or philosophy. Invariably, though, the
effort ended quickly. Maybe that was because it's just too much trouble
to ask others to prove their algorithms to be NPC (or NP-Hard) in order
to justify employing their novel approach. Or maybe the NP formality
really didn't add value.

I'd be interested to know some examples of CS non theorists (e.g.
informal algorithmists) who have found formal NP (as opposed to simple
algorithmic complexity) valuable other than to imply exponentiality or
infeasibility. With each mention of NP or NPC in the various research
papers I've read, I have never seen subsequent statements grounding the
implications of the problem as being specifically and formally NP-Hard
or NPC, beyond merely being exponential or infeasible or unpredictable.

I think this implies: 1) even most non-theory CS academics don't find
formal CC to be necessary in grounding their work, and 2) in using the
term NPC or NP-Hard, instead of using "infeasible" or "exponential", and
then *not* explaining why the former has greater implications than the
latter, it seems likely to me that a lot of academics don't appreciate
the necessity of CC either.

Or maybe it's just time for me to get out of Dodge...

Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu

Date Subject Author
10/25/05
Read On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
ianparker2@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
osmium
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ed Prochak
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Gene
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
MartDowd
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Wim Benthem
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
KP Bhat
stephen@nomail.com
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
googmeister@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
C6L1V@shaw.ca
[...]
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/27/05
[...]
Joe Hendrix
10/27/05
[...]
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Joe Hendrix
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ben Rudiak-Gould
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pekka Orponen
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Michael J. Hennebry
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Oliver Wong
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Robert Israel
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Torkel Franzen
11/1/05
[...]
Pat Farrell
10/25/05
Read On what "NP-Hard" means; was: Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson