Topic: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Replies: 90   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 PM

stephen@nomail.com

Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability

In comp.theory Randy <joe@burgershack.com> wrote:
> Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Randy wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What on earth don't you understand? It seems like you came into the
>> discussion and said a lot of wrong things at once, and then everybody
>> else replied and said, "No, that's wrong, here's what's right." And
>> now you're saying that complexity analysis must be irrelevant to
>> (something; it's unclear what). No offense, but it's coming off as
>> "sour grapes."
>>
>> -Arthur

> OK. In lay terms (as the OP requested), why is NP meaningful to
> practitioners? What utilitarian subtlety does it capture that
> "exponential" does not?

That is not what the OP requested. He did not ask
anything about why NP is meaningful for practitioners.
He did ask for a description of the the difference between
NP-complete and NP-hard in "somewhat layterms".

To answer your question, the difference between NP-complete
and expontential is that you can actually prove that a problem is
NP-complete. If we could prove that any of the intractable problems
that we typically encounter actually required exponential time
then that would prove that P<>NP. On the other hand if someone proves
that P=NP, then all the problems you are apparently calling
"exponential" are in fact not exponential.

Just because the algorithm you use to solve a problem
requires exponential time it does not mean the problem
actually requires exponential time. There could be a
better algorithm that you have not thought of.
However if you know the problem is NP-complete, then
it is not just you, but thousands of people people working for
some 40+ years have also failed to find a better algorithm. That
is a useful thing to know and definitely has more weight
than just knowing that one person was unable to solve it.

I am sure lots of practitioners out there who really
do not care about NP-completeness, just as there
seem to be lots of engineers out there who really
do not care about math or physics other than the little
bits they need for their jobs. So what? Noone
says you have to care. There are lots of people
out there doing things that I do not care about,
but I do not see any reason to get upset about it.

Stephen

Date Subject Author
10/25/05
Read On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
ianparker2@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
osmium
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ed Prochak
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Gene
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
MartDowd
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Wim Benthem
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
KP Bhat
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
googmeister@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
C6L1V@shaw.ca
[...]
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/27/05
[...]
Joe Hendrix
10/27/05
[...]
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Joe Hendrix
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ben Rudiak-Gould
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pekka Orponen
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Michael J. Hennebry
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Oliver Wong
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Robert Israel
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Torkel Franzen
11/1/05
[...]
Pat Farrell
10/25/05
Read On what "NP-Hard" means; was: Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson