Topic: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Replies: 90   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 PM

stephen@nomail.com

Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability

In comp.theory Randy <joe@burgershack.com> wrote:
> stephen@nomail.com wrote:
>> In comp.theory Randy <joe@burgershack.com> wrote:
>>

>>>To wit, the solution of 3-SAT or any X^N problem requires exponential
>>>runtime (right?).

>> No, we do not know that 3-SAT requires exponential runtime.
>> Nobody has ever found a non-exponential algorithm for 3-SAT,
>> but that does not mean one does not exist.

> So the identification of a problem as being NP-Hard is its *absence* of
> a polynomial solution?

No. A problem is NP-hard if every problem in NP is polynomially
reducible to it. Nobody currently knows if polynomial time solutions exist
for any NP-Hard problems. If you were to find a polynomial solution
for an NP-Hard problem then you have proven that P=NP. If you
prove that no polynomial time algorithm exists for an NP-Complete
problem then you have proven that P<>NP. If you prove that
no polynomial time algorithm exists for an NP-Hard problem, it
may still be the case that P=NP because not all NP-Hard problems
are in NP.

> If the problem is not as easy as X, then we say
> only that it's not as easy as other un-easy problems?

Currently all we can say for the most part is how hard certain problems
are relative to each other. We know of a whole bunch of problems
that are all just as hard as each other in the sense that
if a polynomial time solution existed for any of them one would
exist for all of them. However we do not know if those polynomial
solutions exist or not. It seems doubtful that they do, but
who knows what some clever person down the road may think of.

> No wonder I'm confused. I've always had trouble with double negatives.

>> What do you mean by an X^N problem? Do you have an example
>> in mind?

> AKA exponential. No doubt I've messed up that term too...

But what problem do you have in mind? Remember there is
a difference between a problem and an algorithm. We do not
know that 3-SAT is an exponential problem. There are very
few problems that we know for a fact require exponential time.
We do know that 3-SAT is NP-complete, and lots of people suspect
that means that there does not exist a polynomial time algorithm
for 3-SAT, but we do not actually know that.

Stephen

Date Subject Author
10/25/05
Read On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
ianparker2@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
osmium
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ed Prochak
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Gene
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
MartDowd
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Wim Benthem
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
KP Bhat
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
googmeister@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
C6L1V@shaw.ca
[...]
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/27/05
[...]
Joe Hendrix
10/27/05
[...]
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Joe Hendrix
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ben Rudiak-Gould
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pekka Orponen
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Michael J. Hennebry
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Oliver Wong
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Robert Israel
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Torkel Franzen
11/1/05
[...]
Pat Farrell
10/25/05
Read On what "NP-Hard" means; was: Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson