Topic: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Replies: 90   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 PM

Bryan Olson

Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability

Randy wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
>>Randy wrote:
>> > Congrats, Steve. By quibbling over nits rather than explaining
>> > concepts, that was your intent right?

>>Don't blame Stephen for your errors. There are plenty explanations
>>of concepts around, now unfortunately including yours.

> OK. Let's take a giant step backward to give some perspective.
>
> You can argue or you can explain.

What you did was explain falsely.

> The only goal of the former is to win.
> Unfortunately, like the OP, I was looking for explanation and
> understanding, not combat.

No, that's not what happened; Stephen didn't object to anyone
seeking explanation. He objected to your post. In those cases
where you made enough sense to be right or wrong, you were
wrong.

> However on Usenet, the latter is pretty much
> all there is.
>
> Apparently winning was Steve's goal, so I congratulated him.
> Congratulations to you too, Bryan.

Have you considered the damage you could do? What if a serious
but novice student confused your explanations with material worth
reading? Consider the service Stephen was doing by helping the
weed your claims out efficiently.

--
--Bryan

Date Subject Author
10/25/05
Read On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
ianparker2@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
osmium
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ed Prochak
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Gene
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
MartDowd
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Dr. David Kirkby
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pubkeybreaker
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Wim Benthem
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
RobertSzefler
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
KP Bhat
stephen@nomail.com
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
googmeister@gmail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/26/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
C6L1V@shaw.ca
[...]
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/27/05
[...]
Joe Hendrix
10/27/05
[...]
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Joe Hendrix
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Ben Rudiak-Gould
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson
10/28/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Pekka Orponen
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/27/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Michael J. Hennebry
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Randy
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
stephen@nomail.com
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
10/25/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Oliver Wong
10/31/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Robert Israel
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
googmeister@gmail.com
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Willem
11/1/05
Read Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Torkel Franzen
11/1/05
[...]
Pat Farrell
10/25/05
Read On what "NP-Hard" means; was: Re: On NP Completeness and Intractability
Bryan Olson