The Math Forum

Topic: Maple Vs Mathematica
Replies: 78   Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 11:00 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: cost to write a system / SAGE

Jaap Spies wrote:

> But maybe there is some light in the darkness. A few weeks ago I learned
> about SAGE:
> http://modular.ucsd.edu/sage/index.html
>
> An initiative of William Stein (with others, David Joyner, John Cremona
> and many more). Not a general CAS, but in potention it could grow.
> Shall we join the party?
>
> Jaap

<controversial statements>
From a quick view of their web page, it seems that the
view taken by SAGE is that activities in
"computer algebra systems" are a subset of activities in
"pure mathematics".

Some distinguished academics in the CAS community have
a similar view, though they add into the mix "asymptotic
complexity."

By avoiding applications (say, to engineering design, finance,
education, scientific visualization, etc etc) the activity is
essentially doomed. Why? Government funding for people or projects
will be a small percentage of the funding for pure mathematics.
That's not much. And the future is pretty grim.
I doubt that CAS funding has ever happened because of some
connection to cryptography, as much as mathematicians might
raise that point.

Maybe the SAGE structure has some organizational benefit
(e.g. using Python for scripting), but compared to what?
Tcl? Lisp? Scheme? Guile? Ruby? Jscript? PARI?

Why not hook SAGE to Maxima, or the reverse?
Can you convince an engineer to use it? For what?
I spotted some statement that it could link to Mathematica or
Matlab; these aren't free, though.

Elephants are interesting and useful. Feathers are interesting
and useful.
Elephants with feathers are a curiosity. Is SAGE an elephant
with feathers?

If SAGE weren't free, would anyone pay for it?

</controversial statements>

RJF

Date Subject Author
12/1/05
Read Maple Vs Mathematica
kush99@gmail.com
12/1/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Alasdair McAndrew
12/1/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Alec Mihailovs
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Caerwyn Esgydiad
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Alasdair McAndrew
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/1/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Dave
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
G. A. Edgar
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
d.swan@lycos.co.uk
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Ralf
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Caerwyn Esgydiad
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Joe Riel
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
John Carter
12/2/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Dave
12/3/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Nasser Abbasi
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
John Francis
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Nasser Abbasi
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica
Albert Reiner
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica : How much of the source code?
Richard Fateman
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica : How much of the source code?
Carlos Felippa
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica : How much of the source code?
Nasser Abbasi
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica : How much of the source code?
Carlos Felippa
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Richard Fateman
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Alec Mihailovs
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Peter Pein
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Alec Mihailovs
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Nasser Abbasi
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Dana
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Nasser Abbasi
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
John Francis
12/14/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Paul Abbott
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Carlos Felippa
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Jaap Spies
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Carlos Felippa
12/5/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
Jaap Spies
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging
parisse@domain.invalid
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Richard Fateman
12/6/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Jaap Spies
12/6/05
Read Re: cost to write a system / SAGE
Richard Fateman
12/6/05
Read Re: cost to write a system / SAGE
Dave Rusin
12/7/05
[...]
Robert Israel
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Martin Rubey
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Dave
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Martin Rubey
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Nasser Abbasi
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Dana
12/12/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Caerwyn Esgydiad
12/12/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Richard Fateman
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Carlos Felippa
12/7/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Nasser Abbasi
12/7/05
Read Numerical software easy to write?
Richard Fateman
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Carlos Felippa
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
David N. Williams
12/8/05
Read complexity of numerical software
Jaap Spies
12/8/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/8/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jaap Spies
12/8/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/9/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
David N. Williams
12/9/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/9/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jaap Spies
12/9/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/9/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Jaap Spies
12/13/05
Read Re: complexity of numerical software
Christopher Creutzig
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Colin Rose
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Carlos Felippa
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Jaap Spies
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Carlos Felippa
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Jean-Claude Arbaut
12/8/05
Read Re: Maple Vs Mathematica debugging / cost to write a system
Ronald Bruck