The Math Forum

Topic: Jacobian problem in dimension 2 solved
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 10:48 PM

Lee Rudolph

Re: Jacobian problem in dimension 2 solved

marcfrisch@hotmail.com writes:

>Hello,
>Joel Briancon (University of Nice, France) has solved the Jacobian
>problem in dimension 2:
>Let f,g be two polynomials in C[x,y] such that the Jacobian determinant
>is a nonzero complex number. We prove that the polynomial map
>(f,g):C2-->C2 is an algebraic automorphism.
>
>You can find the proof at
>http://arxiv.org/abs/math.AG/0512174
>
>Best regards,
>Marc

Is there overmuch reason to believe this latest announced
proof, given the amazing record of the Jacobian problem
for eliciting bogus proofs from mathematicians of considerable
ability and reputation (as well as others, naturally)? Has,
for instance, anyone else with relevant expertise endorsed it
yet?

Lee Rudolph