Topic: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 25, 2005 5:56 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule

R. Colacitti wrote (in part):

> Do you or anyone else know a book that mentions/explains the
> "real and all encompassing" definition of the derivative (well,
> a book that explains REAL CALCULUS on the whole would be better,
> by real I don't mean the number set). I don't care if this book
> is really meant for 2nd or higher year students, because as far
> as I'm concerned, learning without truly understanding is a waste
> (my Calculus 1 class!!).

Michael Spivak, CALCULUS, 3'rd edition, Publish or Perish,
1994, xiv + 670 pages.

Tom Apostol, CALCULUS VOLUME 1: ONE-VARIABLE CALCULUS WITH AN
INTRODUCTION TO LINEAR ALGEBRA, 2'nd edition, Blaisdell Publishing
Company, 1967, xx + 666 pages.

Richard Courant and Fritz John, INTRODUCTION TO CALCULUS AND
ANALYSIS, Volume 1, 1965, xxiv + 661 pages. [This has been
recently reprinted, I believe.]

Spivak and Apostol are widely used in honors classes
and at places like CalTech, MIT, Univ. of Toronto, etc.
Courant/John is a classic that is in some ways pitched
at an even higher level (the problems are harder, for one
thing), but it gives an outstanding coverage of *everything*,
from theoretical to applied, that someone planning to
continue studying mathematics ideally should be exposed
to in an elementary calculus course.

Incidentally, Apostol and Courant/John each have a 2'nd
volume covering multivariable calculus, but I think for
what you're looking for the 1'st volumes will suffice.

Although the three books above are probably the best fit
for you, you might also want to look at the following.

Victor Bryant, YET ANOTHER INTRODUCTION TO ANALYSIS, Cambridge
University Press, 1990, viii + 290 page.

All exercises have solutions. Full of pictures, diagrams,
and other pedagogical aids. Excellent as a direct sequel
to the standard calculus sequence and the book is carefully
written with this in mind.

George R. Exner, INSIDE CALCULUS, Undergraduate Texts in
Mathematics, Springer-Verlag, 2000, xviii + 211 pages.

Ernst Hairer and Gerhard Wanner, ANALYSIS BY ITS HISTORY,
Springer-Verlag, 1996, x + 374 pages.

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
12/24/05
Read derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
wwromeo@gmail.com
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using
power rule
Stephen J. Herschkorn
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
wwromeo@gmail.com
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
Virgil
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using
power rule
Stephen J. Herschkorn
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using
power rule
Robert Low
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
wwromeo@gmail.com
12/24/05
Read Re: derivative using first principles NOT EQUAL TO derivative using power rule
Dave L. Renfro
12/25/05