The Math Forum

Topic: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Replies: 68   Last Post: Nov 11, 2002 7:54 PM

Magi D. Shepley

Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?

Several people, including myself, responded to this. Judging by your
subject header, and the note below, I'm disinclined to put in the effort
I put in before... but will at least give you the names of the materials
suggested:
For the student with difficulty learning math:
Cuisinaire rods, and other math manipulatives of this type
TouchMath
Edmark's TouchMoney and Telling Time series
PCI Catalog's Time Families, and various other math games with a
real-life focus

Magi

Karl wrote:

> [...]
>possible?
>
>SPECIAL CASE 3 (MATH-EAGER CHILD)
>
>What, particularly, would you recommend for a learner who shows
>consistent, sustained, avid interest in learning mathematics
>(irrespective of the learner's level of math ability)? For the
>most-eager mathematics learner, what materials are especially
>suitable for appealing to that intrinsic interest and using that
>as a foundation for deeper learning of mathematics? Here I'm
>especially interested in suggestions for materials beyond the
>scope of school textbooks, and indeed in suggestions for
>activities (math competitions, perhaps?) outside the scope of
>schoolwork.
>
>SPECIAL CASE 4 (MATH-AVERSE CHILD)
>
>What, particularly, would you recommend for a learner who shows NO
>interest in learning mathematics, doubts the usefulness of math,
>and would rather do almost anything else besides learning math
>(again, irrespective of the learner's ability level)? For the
>learner turned off by math, what materials are especially useful
>for evoking interest in math and showing either an inherent
>attractiveness of or a linkage between math and subjects the
>learner is already interested in?
>
>GENERAL CASE
>
>What, particularly, would you recommend for a learner or group of
>learners who have unknown membership in the special-case
>populations above? What would you recommend for a schoolteacher
>teaching a school class of mixed ability and interest levels? What
>would you recommend to a homeschooling parent who poses a question
>on-line and doesn't identify his or personal math background in
>much detail? In other words, what math materials might tend to be
>optimal for the broadest range of special cases encountered in the
>general population? Are any math materials that are well-suited to
>special populations BADLY suited to the general population? I
>would be interested to know what math materials you would
>recommend as having broadest usefulness and likely benefit, and I
>wouldn't mind knowing what materials you do NOT recommend to
>anyone, no matter what the learner's special characteristics. Are
>some math materials actually harmful, worse than using nothing at
>all?
>
>Thanks for any and all opinions you express, materials you
>recommend, or comments you have on my questions. If you would like
>to reach me by email, feel free to write to
>
>kmbunday AT earthlink DOT net
>
>and later I will anonymously ("a private correspondent said, '. .
>.. '") digest private comments for the group.
>
>By the way, what is the scope of "elementary (K-8) mathematics"?
>What subjects (or more narrow topics) are surely included in
>mathematics learners should learn by eighth grade? What subjects
>(or topics) need not be learned by that age, or even SHOULDN'T be
>learned by that age?
>
>Thanks for letting us all know your thoughts on this important

Date Subject Author
9/28/02
Read Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Moufang Loop
10/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Stephen Herschkorn
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Magi D. Shepley
10/1/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
10/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Jim Hunter
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Jim Hunter
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
10/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/8/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/8/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/9/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/10/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/11/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/15/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/15/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/12/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/26/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/27/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/27/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/28/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/24/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/26/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/28/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/31/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/31/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
David Redmond
11/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
11/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/9/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/11/02