The Math Forum

Topic: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Replies: 68   Last Post: Nov 11, 2002 7:54 PM

Magi D. Shepley

Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?

Karl wrote:

>"Magi D. Shepley" wrote???????G
>

>>Several people, including myself, responded to this.
>>

>I'm getting the impression that my newsfeed is unreliable. I'll be
>checking Google to look for earlier replies that I may have
>missed.

I apologize, then, for my commentary... I am aware of unreliable
newservers, but the topic header didn't strike me as somebody asking for
information, which we tend to get a lot of in this group.

>>Judging by your
>>subject header, and the note below, I'm disinclined to put in the effort
>>I put in before... but will at least give you the names of the materials
>>suggested:
>>For the student with difficulty learning math:
>>Cuisinaire rods, and other math manipulatives of this type
>>

>Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen Cuisenaire rods in action
>with kids who self-describe as liking math, and who appear to have
>good math ability according to tests. I have only read
>descriptions (by John Holt, of observations made in the 1960s) of
>Cuisenaire rods used with students who had difficulty learning
>math. I appreciate your confirmation that they seem to be a
>general-purpose math material.

I have used them with my students who have mild and moderate mental
retardation, and comorbid diagnosis of emotional disturbance. I also
successfully used them with my students who were MR, and had
speech/language or other physical disabilities (except for cerebral
palsy... see below for a suggestion for that, and this would fit any
child that has the diagnosis... due to the nature of the condition, they
frequently have difficulties with manipulatives).

>TouchMath
>

>I have not heard of TouchMath before. Is it a software program?

No, it is a print program. They have a website:
http://www.touchmath.com. Its a concrete way of teaching the CONCEPTS of
math to students who have difficulties learning it any other way. I'm
not real fond of seeing regular education students using this, or having
access to this... it can become a crutch. But for my students that I
teach, this is often the only way they learn to do any kind of math
concepts. It fits nicely with the cuinseaire rods, too... Though if I'm
using TouchMath, I'll generally use bingo chips or poker chips because
they are round in the same fashion as the dots on the Touchmath are. You
can get samples of TouchMath (including a video) from the company.

>Edmark's TouchMoney and Telling Time series
>

>Hmmm, for a while Edmark was offering a free download of a
>geoboard program on their site, which I used to visit, but I don't
>know those two titles. Thanks for the tip.

Edmark is now, primarily, a software company... but these are print
programs, no software involved (though they may have software versions).
When Edmark first started, they were known for their special education
materials, for kids with multiple disabilities, but particularly those
with moderate mental retardation (IQ between 40-55 if that gives you a
better picture, though I don't think in those terms). They have a
WONDERFUL reading program that I absolutely love for teaching reading...
I have used both the original verison, and the Functional version. I'm
not as enamored of the funtional version's teaching methods... its not
as in-depth or hands on, but the worksheets are quality and a creative
teacher can add things to make it "not as dry".
The time and money programs are similar quality. The money program is
similar to the TouchMath program, but different... it also uses dots,
but teaches the students to count by 5's, and introduces a concept
called "Next Dollar", which tells the student that if an item is between
3.01 and 3.99, they hand over $4, and then WAIT for their change. Its
great for teaching money handling to kids who might not otherwise "grasp
it". I combine it with the TouchMath (there is a money kit), and
Attainment's money package (which is part of a curriculum called
"Stepping Out"). The latter has cue cards in it for "Next Dollar" and
writing checks.

>PCI Catalog's Time Families, and various other math games with a real-life focus
>

>Real-life focus is always something to look for. You are evidently
>much more familiar with current educational software than I.

While none of the above is software, I can give you suggestions for
software... The PCI programs are also print. The reason I like the Time
Families series is because it gives the kids a way to think about time
with a concrete description of something they already know: families.
Time Families works because there is the "15 Family", and the program
tells the kids that the 15 family ALWAYS points their left hand up, and
their right hand right. Its hard to explain in print... but I've used it
to successfully teach kids to tell time to the minute.

For software: Attainment Company's Dollars & Cents program is also
wonderful...very real life focused. They have telling time programs
also, but I find that to be rather complicated to set up, and don't like
it as much.
Edmark's math programs: Carnival Math Countdown (?), Mighty Math
Heros... etc.
IntelliTools: IntelliMathics. This is the one I referred to above when
talking about manipulatives for students with cerebral palsy or other
physical disabilities that make it difficult for them to use
manipulatives. This is a wonderful program for teaching with
manipulatives, but using a computer (and specialized keyboard as
necessary) to do so. They also make a program called "Math Pad" or "Math
Pad Plus". The latter includes decimals and fractions... it goes up to
probably grade 7 math. It cannot do Algebra, but it works well. The
issue with MathPad is that the teacher must type in each individual
problem ,and the student must learn to navigate the program using a
mouse, standard keyboard or the specialized keyboard and overlay
(overlays come with the programs).

Magi

Date Subject Author
9/28/02
Read Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Moufang Loop
10/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Stephen Herschkorn
9/30/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Magi D. Shepley
10/1/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
10/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Karl M. Bunday
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Jim Hunter
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Jim Hunter
10/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
10/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/8/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/8/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/9/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/10/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/11/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/15/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/15/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/16/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/12/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
10/14/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/26/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/27/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/27/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Herman Rubin
10/28/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/24/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/25/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Van Bagnol
10/26/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/28/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/29/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
10/31/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
10/31/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
David Redmond
11/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/3/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/2/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Virgil
11/4/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/5/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/6/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/7/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Kevin Foltinek
11/9/02
Read Re: Is this an exceptionally hard set of questions to answer?
Alberto C Moreira
11/11/02