Topic: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"
Replies: 13   Last Post: Feb 6, 2013 4:47 AM

W. Dale Hall

Re: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"

James the Lurker wrote:
> My statistics teacher and I are at odds as how to "Chebyshev" is
> pronounced. She says "Cheh bee' chev". I say "Cheh' bih shov". I
> realize that both or neither of these could be correct, but if anyone
> knows the preferred way to say, I'd be grateful for an answer.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --James

I say "Cheh bih shef" with stress on first syllable.

If stress were on final syllable, "Cheh bih shof" might be correct.

In Russian, the letter "yo" (it resembles the letter e with an umlaut
over it) that would make the final syllable "shof" does not carry the
"o" sound in an unstressed syllable; in that context, it becomes "yeh".

There are certainly more authoritative speakers/readers of Russian out
there; I would of course defer to their pronouncements (not to mention
their pronunciations).

Dale.