Topic: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"
Replies: 13   Last Post: Feb 6, 2013 4:47 AM

Richard Tobin

Re: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"

In article <3da357ab.11846910@news.earthlink.net>,
James the Lurker <jps06111@operamail.com> wrote:

>My statistics teacher and I are at odds as how to "Chebyshev" is
>pronounced. She says "Cheh bee' chev". I say "Cheh' bih shov".

Do you want to know how Russians pronounce that name, or how the
mathematician's name is usually pronounced by English speakers?
You might be right for the former, but your teacher is closer for
the latter.

Compare the question with "how is Paris pronounced?".

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!