Topic: The need for a well rounded education
Replies: 181   Last Post: Jan 11, 2003 3:06 AM

JohnSanford@attbi.com

Re: The need for a well rounded education

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:39:08 GMT, "Bob Schmall" <rschmall@wi.rr.com>
wrote:

><JohnSanford@attbi.com> wrote in message

>> >Suppose someone had a rigorous education in modern languages, history,

>and
>> >philosophy. That education should give a liberal arts major enough
>> >background to do something in international relations. Bletchly Park used
>> >Liberal Arts graduates for their decryption program of the Enigma code.

>Do
>> >you think a liberal arts degree that included linguistic skills would
>have
>> >some strength to it? At the very least these are the makings for a good
>> >lawyer or a CIA spook(Is that a good thing?) from such a bachelaureate.

>> Nice try. Enigma was broken by MATH brains, not language. If you
>> understood anything about encryption you would know that it has
>> nothing to do with language and everything to do with math.

>The following is from the "American Heritage New History of World War Two,"
>revised asnd updated by Stephen Ambrose, but the basic information first
>came from Ronald Lewin in "Ultra Goes to War" 1978:
>
>"The German machine was called Enigma. It involved a series of revolving
>drums that were so complex that there were several million possibilites for
>each encoded message. Listening to the message was simple; it was sent by
>radio. Breaking the message however, required two things: and exact
>dup[licate of the Enigma machine and the key to the settings. The Germans
>were certain that the Allies had neither. Buit in fact the British had two
>Enigma machines, given to them by Polish intelligence agents in 1939, just
>as Poland was being overrun. And at Bletchley park in England, the British
>built was hass been called the first computer, which allowed them to break
>the key and thus read the German messages. They called the system Ultra."
>
>Looks like some British computer geeks built Enigma and decoded things,
>rather than mathemeticians.

Uh, OK. And what exactly do computer geeks study?

I'll give you a hint, computer science is 100% math. Anyone who
disagrees has no business in the computer field...

Date Subject Author
12/19/02
Read The need for a well rounded education
James Llort
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fly-by-Night CC
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Yallay
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CW
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tolkien Reader
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
raven1
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CW
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Surendar Jeyadev
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Chris Ainslie
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Grant P. Beagles
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
ranck@vt.edu
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
DanS
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Buddy Matlosz
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Crysanna
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave Rusin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lawrence L'Hote
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
David C. Ullrich
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lawrence Wasserman
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
James T. Kirby
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Charles Jones
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Douglas Miller
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SilverSurfer
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Buddy Matlosz
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SilverSurfer
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SPeacock
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SPeacock
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
A N Neil
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JaR
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
1/1/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
rat scabies
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Chergarj
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Hammersmith
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Hammersmith
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/1/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
rat scabies
1/2/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
freshcoyote
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Robin Chapman
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
KevinSmith@CoreCom.net
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
darktalon
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave L. Renfro
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Earle Jones
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fly-by-Night CC
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
12/23/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Daniel Kolle
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Randy Poe
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave L. Renfro
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Nova
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark & Juanita
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
jmfbahciv@aol.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Virgil
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/11/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Kosmo Threadbane
1/11/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jesse F. Hughes
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Robert J. Pease
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Alan McClure
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tim Wesson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Martin Willett
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fletch
12/20/02
[...]
George Dance
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
dullrich@sprynrt.com
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Weaver
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Gary Greenberg
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Zachary Turner
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
David C. Ullrich
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
A N Niel
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
brian roth
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Bonn
[...]
Therion Ware
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Charles Self
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ivan
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
ghammond
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Daniel Kolle
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lovecraftesque
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fletch
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Growler
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bill Taylor
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lee Rudolph
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Michael Russell
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CoyoteBoy
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JaR
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CoyoteBoy
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
maff
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Thomas Dressen