Topic: The need for a well rounded education
Replies: 181   Last Post: Jan 11, 2003 3:06 AM

Dave

Re: The need for a well rounded education

"James Llort" <jamesllort@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm concerned about the narrowm view of the world 'hard' science
> students have these days. I think the problem starts at college -
> There's a culture that somehow science is more rational and usefull
> then the humanitities. Lecturers encourage students to joke about arts

Then how come most students graduate from college not knowing jack shit
about science?
Most college graduates I've talked with can't describe even the scientific
method.
Plus, at least here at PSU, there are far more business, economics, and arts
majors than there are hard science majors. They even watered the General
Science (bachelor of science) degree to include business :-(

> students, and humilaite them whenever possible. This encourages
> eliteism, and I for one am sick of it.

No, the students are elitist about whatever their major is. Like you. You
know nothing about science, yet you berate it.

> Let's tell it like it is. 'science' is just as much about opinion as
> the humanities. Research simply follows the fad of the day. Take

Wrong. Outright, completely, wrong.

> dieticians for example. These men and woman believe that just because
> they have degree in medical science that they are all knowing. Why,

Good scientists don't believe they are all knowing. And I know a lot of good
scientists.

> what they recommend one day may kill you the next! (see the DDT story
> for more information.) Science is 95% opinion then facts, lets face

no it's not. It's 90% facts, 9% logic, .9% analysis, and .1% opinion... and
in the end, the opinion doesn't matter. Science works whether you like it or
not.

> it. What about astrology, the most rediculious of the sciences! But I
> degress...

Astrology is not a science. Period. Are you stupid or something, troll?

> Another example is music. We know what sounds good. Everyone aggreed
> that Valves for instance sound great. But knowitall engineers use
> trensastors with inferious sound quality just to save a few bucks.
> They argue with numbers. Hey, I don't want to do maths just to listen

What the hell are you talking about? Make some sense, fool.

> to music. I know what I like. You cannot apply objective reasoning to
> a subject which is intristically subjective. But try telling those

yes you can. It just takes some understanding of probability, and you have
to know that you won't have deterministic results.

> recent grads with their useless piece of paper that and they go all
> mightier--then-thou.

And if you insult the 'art' of some recent art grad, they go ballistic. What
does this show? That people don't like other people who aren't experts in
their field, to tell them their field is useless.

> The problem with you technical guys are that you are all so eliteist.

'cause you know, arts & humanities majors aren't. Hah!

> Whilst you want to trun collage into a trade school with yore narrow
> minded views that collage should be a job training centre, humanities

Nice of you to tell me what I believe... especially when I don't. So kiss my
ass.

> are focused on making you a well rounded person who is auctually
> interesting to be with, not a boring focuesed geek. Really, it makes

Don't presume to speak for people whom you don't know. I don't know who
these people are that you refer to (I suspect engineers, from my experience,
but I cannot say for sure. And, of course, not all people in that group will
be that way, anyhow.), but they aren't the people I spend time with.

> me so mad when people say "oh, he's doing a humanities degree, that's
> easy". I have to read *3* *books* *a* *week* on average. Not picture
> books either I assue you. It is a lot of work, but the upshot is

So? I regularly do more than that for *recreation*. But then, I suppose
that Plato, Socrates, Hobbes, Descartes, Locke, etc, don't actually count,
do they? How about all the fiction I read?

> improved grammer and spelling skills that are lacking in the
> technical. As for those that say "you will be working at mcdonalds" ,

Well, I think you've demonstrated that your "grammer" (sic) is better than
mine, however, I would argue that my spelling and grammar is a signifigant
improvement over yours. I cite our two posts as evidence.

> I'm going on to so a PhD in socialolgy where I'll be line for tenure

socialolgy? Do you mean Sociology? I wasn't sure, but I couldn't think of
anything else it might have been. At least, you'll be in line for tenure if
you can get a professorship. Same goes for science majors, too, though.

> where I have a much more rewarding job then beeing a science freak or
> an engineer. Anyways, all I have to do to be a engineer wold be to get

In your ever-so-humble opinion. I'd much prefer to be unlocking the
mysteries of the universe, and helping the human race, than doing sociology,
myself.

> my MSCE and how hard couyld that be? techincal stuff is simply

Famous last words: "Anyways, all I have to do to be a engineer wold be to
get my MSCE and how hard couyld that be?"

> whatever fad the market thinks is hot at the moment, but all great
> things were done by humanities.

Oh, humanities are responsible for all the great inventions which have
helped mankind? They discovered crop rotation? They designed the buildings
we live in? The medicine which allows us to live? They discovered which
plants produce high yield for minimal effort?

> You technical types are far to narrow minded and cynsical. You should
> learn to enjoy life.

narrow-minded? I think not. I enjoy life immensely. You should try an
education; it works wonders.

> Relax, and make peace with god. He transcends all.

Myths trancend nothing. Therefore, 'god' trancends nothing.

--
Dave
a.a. #2049 apatriot #17 || AIM screen name: Non Homogenized

Date Subject Author
12/19/02
Read The need for a well rounded education
James Llort
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fly-by-Night CC
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Yallay
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CW
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tolkien Reader
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
raven1
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CW
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Surendar Jeyadev
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Chris Ainslie
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Grant P. Beagles
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
ranck@vt.edu
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
DanS
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Buddy Matlosz
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Crysanna
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave Rusin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lawrence L'Hote
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
David C. Ullrich
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lawrence Wasserman
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
James T. Kirby
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Charles Jones
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Douglas Miller
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SilverSurfer
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Buddy Matlosz
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SilverSurfer
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SPeacock
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Hylourgos
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
SPeacock
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
A N Neil
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JaR
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
1/1/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
rat scabies
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Chergarj
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Hammersmith
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Hammersmith
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/1/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
rat scabies
1/2/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
freshcoyote
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Robin Chapman
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
KevinSmith@CoreCom.net
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
darktalon
12/19/02
Read Re: OT: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave L. Renfro
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Earle Jones
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fly-by-Night CC
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
12/23/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stillsunny
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Richard Robertson
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Daniel Kolle
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Randy Poe
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Dave L. Renfro
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Nova
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark & Juanita
12/25/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
jmfbahciv@aol.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Schmall
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Virgil
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/11/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Kosmo Threadbane
1/11/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jim Hunter
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ron Larham
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
George
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Jesse F. Hughes
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Robert J. Pease
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JohnSanford@attbi.com
1/9/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Alan McClure
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Example E-Mail Account
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tim Wesson
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Martin Willett
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fletch
12/20/02
[...]
George Dance
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
dullrich@sprynrt.com
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Rob Weaver
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Gary Greenberg
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Zachary Turner
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
David C. Ullrich
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
A N Niel
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Herman Rubin
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
brian roth
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bob Bonn
[...]
Therion Ware
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Charles Self
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Ivan
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
ghammond
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Al Klein
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Daniel Kolle
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lovecraftesque
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Mark K. Bilbo
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Fletch
12/19/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Growler
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Bill Taylor
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Lee Rudolph
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Michael Russell
12/20/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CoyoteBoy
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
JaR
12/21/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
CoyoteBoy
12/22/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Tom MacIntyre
12/24/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
stoney
12/28/02
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
maff
1/10/03
Read Re: The need for a well rounded education
Thomas Dressen