The Math Forum

Topic: Brainteaser n
Replies: 15   Last Post: Aug 6, 2003 7:10 AM

Jeroen Boschma

Re: Brainteaser n

Hi,

The first evening the logicians sit down in a circle and look at
eachother. They all
focus on the number of foreheads they see WITHOUT a blue dot. On that
first evening everyone thinks: if I see 49 foreheads without a blue dot,
then I must have the only blue dot and I will commit suicide. But on
that first evening nobody commits suicide, so the overall conclusion is:
there are less then 49 foreheads whthout a blue dot (or more than 1 blue
dots).
Second evening. The reasoning is as follows: there are more than 1 blue
dots. Let's assume for this evening there are two blue dots. If I see
only one other blue dot, then I must have the other blue dot and the two
of us can commit suicide. But again, nothing happens because everybody
sees much more blue dots and the overall conclusion is that there are
more than two blue dots.
For the third evening, everybody knows that there are more than 2 blue
dots and will make their decision based on the assumption that there are
exactly 3 blue dots (if I see exactly two other dots, then I have the
third one and the three of us commit suicide).
This goes on and on, evening after evening, and on the last evening the
logicians conclude that there are more than 49, thus exactly 50, blue
dots. They party all night long, have lots of drink and women and at
dawn they commit suicide.

Sad ending? Not at all, because as logicians they really suck. Even a
normal person would decide that if everybody has a blue dot, there's
nothing to shame about. Just a question of ... logic?

You really don't need a guest on your isle to tell you there is at least
one blue dot. There may be a need for in other versions of this riddle
(there are many I guess), but not in this one. The guest does not supply
any information that each logician didn't know already. Or maybe I suck
as a logician, which is not that bad because I'm not one.

Greetz,

Jeroen