Topic: Brainteaser n
Replies: 15   Last Post: Aug 6, 2003 7:10 AM

The Last Danish Pastry

Re: Brainteaser n

"David C Ullrich" <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message

> On 13 Jan 2003 20:57:33 +0100, Anonymous-Remailer@See.Comment.Header
> (Bourbaki) wrote:
>

> >On Mon 13 Jan 2003 09:38:12 -0000 "The Last Danish Pastry"
> ><naturoplevelse.elbow@aol.com> wrote
> >

> >>"the product of the first 111 repunits"
> >>
> >>--
> >>Clive Tooth

> > :-)
> >
> >Given the lottery of who lives where and who sees what first, you were

one
> >of the four I expected to first crack it.
>
> Well, if "the product of the first 111 repunits" is the answer then
> it wasn't just a "test of your powers of inspection and inductive
> logic" as claimed - it requires that we know what a repunit is.
>
> Which raises an obvious question: what the heck is a repunit?

A repunit is something that no real mathematician would know about. It is
simply an integer whose decimal representation is a string of ones. [The
definition is occasionally extended to bases other than ten.]

--
Clive Tooth