Topic: Reason for operator precedence
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 15, 2006 8:56 AM

matt271829-news@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Reason for operator precedence

briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:
> In article <1142360037.330590.76450@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, matt271829-news@yahoo.co.uk writes:
> >
> > briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:

> >> Ok. Try doing it using infix notation and the operator precedence
> >> convention of your choice. Remember your rule: no parentheses
> >>
> >> Left to right doesn't work.
> >>
> >> b+c*a = a*b... and we're stuck
> >>
> >> Right to left doesn't work.
> >>
> >> b+c*a = ...b*c and we're stuck.
> >>
> >> Multiplication has precedence over addition doesn't work.
> >>
> >> a*... and we're stuck
> >>
> >> Addition has precedence over multiplication doesn't work.
> >>
> >> a*b+c = a*b+... and we're stuck
> >>
> >> Accordingly, trying to point to this case as a motivation for some
> >> particular choice of operator precedence seems ill conceived.
> >>
> >> According to your argument, it follows that we are all using either
> >> Polish (prefix) or Reverse Polish (postfix) notation.

> > Sorry, you've lost me. I was agreeing with you that even without any
> > precedence convention we could still represent the distributive law as
> > a*(b + c) = (a*b) + (a*c). However, the convention makes the
> > parentheses redundant, because a*b + a*c is understood to mean (a*b) +
> > (a*c).

> Convention makes _SOME OF THE_ parentheses redundant. Your claim is
> that _ALL OF THE_ parentheses are redundant.

No, only the right hand side. It's just a trivial observation. With no
convention for precedence we would have to write a*(b + c) = (a*b) +
(a*c), but given the usual precedence convention we can just write a*(b
+ c) = a*b + a*c. That's it, there's nothing more to this part, honest.

More interesting is the reason why the distributive property should be
relevant to the original question, which did not come over at all in my
original post, I regret to say. Somehow I feel that this at least part
of the reason why we naturally want to bind * more tightly than +. I
feel that if the operators did *not* have this property then there
would be less reason for the convention.