Topic: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Replies: 67   Last Post: Apr 4, 2006 1:35 PM

Serial Killfiler

Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:17:18 -0500, Guess who
<notreally.here@here.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:37:04 -0600, Serial Killfiler
><alXXhuriyeh@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:16:42 -0500, Guess who
>><notreally.here@here.com> wrote:

>>>You are being purely argumentative. That is pure rubbish.

>>It's not rubbish at all. We mere high school teachers would never be
>>trusted to grade kids strictly upon what they know. Therefore, their
>>grades do not really measure their aptitudes as they should.

>I am a high school teacher retired, and dialogue with students was an
>intricate and necessary part of the teaching process. In fact, that
>was one of the reasons that parents and students of absentees could
>never understand. When a child missed a class, he did not miss just
>the material content, but the dialogue surrounding it by both teacher
>and students.

I have been teaching French for years, so you aren't telling me
anything I don't know. It's hard to make some parents understand
that mountains of worksheets simply cannot substitute for my
instruction. They seem to think I say it out of conceit.

>What IS digusting in general is the feedback required
>which is entirely meaningless, such as "eraly warning reports' which
>here at least were based upon past material bieng "reviewed",rather
>than new, which would be much more descriptive.

The best feedback I can give is in composition and oral proficiency
tests. These will really tell you how efficiently you are
communicating and, with oral interviews, if you tape them you can get
as specific as judging them on the sounds and intonation patterns that
most clearly distinguish French French from Atlanta French. However
these are the grades I am constantly pressured to inflate... because
Mary "tried" and Bill was "absent" and Mark had baseball practice and
Lucy broke up with her boyfriend, etc. etc.

>Aptitude? That lies in the realm of psychology in general, and why in
>industry there are, at least for positions of management, some hefty
>psychological testing procedures. However, I am definitely in favour
>of the teacher [who has been already tested to death in order to gain
>the position in the first place] being able to decide the rightness or
>wrongness of student placement within any given course of study.
>Reasons for that require lengthy discussion, but basically, anyone who
>has worked at anything for a lifetime should have some intuitive idea
>of rightness and wrongness that can later be detailed. Mind, some
>students make it simple to make such decisions about aptitude

Aptitude, like intelligence, is plastic. Whatever you work at
produces mental growth, draws upon and expands your existing
aptitudes. Growth will happen-- only the rate and subjective ease
will vary. But because grades are worth money, you are in for trouble
if you use them to measure actual achievement. You are expected to
provide customer service, not an assessment.

TSK
http://www.usenet.com

Date Subject Author
3/22/06
Read Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Domenico Rosa
3/22/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/22/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
toto
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Road Runner News
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Sumbuny
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Sumbuny
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Virgil
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/27/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/26/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/23/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Guess who
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave Rusin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/24/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave Rusin
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
James Dolan
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
A N Niel
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
A N Niel
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave L. Renfro
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/31/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Dave L. Renfro
4/4/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/31/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Michael Stemper
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Pham
3/25/06
[...]
Robert LeChevalier
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
toto
3/25/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Large_Nassau_Grouper@Yahoo.com
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Robert LeChevalier
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Large_Nassau_Grouper@Yahoo.com
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Serial Killfiler
3/29/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
The World Wide Wade
3/29/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Jim
3/30/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Herman Rubin
3/28/06
Read Re: Only 45% of the students were prepared for math
Pubkeybreaker
3/28/06