Topic: Is Hogg and Craig good?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 1, 2006 4:02 AM

loom91

Re: Is Hogg and Craig good?

loom91 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in high-school in 11th standard and I've taken Statistics as one of
> my 4 subjects. I was wondering whether Hogg and Craig is a good book
> and if it is, who publishes it in India? Our syllabus is:
>
> XI:
> 1)Presentation of data (Tabular, Graphical etc)
> 2)Frequency Distribution
> 3)Measures of Central Tendency
> 4)Measures of Dispersion
> 5)Moments, Skewness, Kurtosis
> 6)Contigency tables and measures of association
> 7)Bivariate analysis
> 8)Time Series Analysis
> 9)Mathematics I: Errors, Matrix algebra, Cramer's rule, Newton's
> Forward and Backward interpolation formula
>
> XII:
> 1)Probability Theory
> 2)Random variables
> 3)Probability distributions and their pdfs
> 4)Sampling theory
> 5)Estimation
> 6)Mathematics II: Set Theory, Differential calculus, partial
> derivatives, Integral calculus, improper integrals gamma function
>
> The books our teacher gave us are probably the worst textbooks I've
> ever seen. Some others recommended Hogg and Craig, so I'll like to know
> is Hogg and Craig the best choice? Thank you.
>
> Molu

After taking a look at the book's ToC at Amazon, I see that it's too
advanced for my course. It looks at only the mathematical side and not
any Descriptive or Inferential stat. Yet I'll also need Probability in
the course. Is there any good textbook that contains all the topics
mentioned above? Thanks.

Molu