The Math Forum

Topic: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Replies: 86   Last Post: Jun 10, 2006 11:51 PM

Bertie Reed

Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:34:23 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Rick Decker]
<snip>

> What I don't understand is how anything other than that outcome could be
> _hoped_ for here. No amount of rearranging and cross-substituting the
> initial equations (whatever they may be) is going to yield new information,
> and there's never a step that even requires the quantities to be integers
> (as opposed to, e.g., arbitrary complex numbers). How can someone imagine
> that insight into integer factorization could result from this insight-less
> symbol-pushing?

I think it's clear. Mathematicians write proofs yeah? Mathematics is just
manipulating symbols. Therefore is JSH manipulates enough symbols enough
times he will get a proof.

Note that he normally starts his posts with a list of equations, and then
manipulates them for a bit. There is no clear goal, or method, it's just
mathematics after all i.e. insightless symbol-pushing.

If at first you don't succed, modify your starting equations a bit, maybe
changing a plus to a minus. When you get really desperate, add another
variable.

Just imagine how many different equations must have shuffled randomly
around Erdos's or Shelah's notepads before they got lucky so many times.

Bertie

Date Subject Author
6/4/06
Read SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Doug Schwarz
6/5/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/5/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Doug Schwarz
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Christopher J. Henrich
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gib Bogle
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Proginoskes
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/6/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Matthijs Hebly
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gordon Burditt
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Sebastian Gottschalk
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
dkguru
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Ed Weir \(ComCast\)
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Andrew Swallow
gjedwards@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gib Bogle
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
TC
6/6/06
marc.t.davies@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
gjedwards@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Richard Henry
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Bob Marlow
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Bob Marlow
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
none
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
rossum
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
jshsucks@yahoo.com
[...]
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David C. Ullrich
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Jesse F. Hughes
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/8/06
[...]
Jose Carlos Santos
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
david250@gmail.com
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
marcus_b
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Richard Henry
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
jshsucks@yahoo.com
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Paul Sperry
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Denis Feldmann
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David C. Ullrich
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Moran
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Proginoskes
6/10/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/10/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/6/06
Read Respect
gjedwards@gmail.com