The Math Forum

Topic: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Replies: 86   Last Post: Jun 10, 2006 11:51 PM

david250@gmail.com

Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring

Tim Peters wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Neither of you will live to see 2007 because of this lie becaue there
> >> will be angry people who will kill you, as there is so much money at
> >> stake.
> >>
> >> Billions will be lost.
> >>
> >> It's not like you can reverse it now either.
> >>
> >> You killed yourselves.
> >>
> >> It might have seemed like a small lie to both of you, but your names
> >> will live in infamy, while you will not live at all.

> [Rick Decker]

> > It appears that this one was the real thing after all.

> Smelled real to me at first sniff ;-) This is his idea of being magnanimous
> in victory -- LOL.
>

> > I haven't noticed any angry mobs bearing torches and pitchforks
> > yet, but I'm keeping watch. Actually, now that I think of it,
> > it's hard to imagine what their motivation would be. I mean,
> > if Tim Peters and I had concocted a plot to supress James'
> > miracle factoring result, just where would those missing
> > billions of dollars have come from? Angry cryptographers?
> > I can see it now: Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman leading
> > a black-ops gang from NSA in an assault on the
> > secret lab of the arch-factorers Peters and Decker.

> Believe it or not, I suspect James is confused about a few things here :-)
> If you really want to know, I can point you to some posts he made only to
> sci.crypt, where he fleshed out his doomsday scenarios in more detail.
> Here's a taste:
>
> From: jstevh@msn.com
> Newsgroups: sci.crypt
> Subject: SF: Problem is easy implementation, massive impact
> Date: 19 May 2006 17:10:56 -0700

> Some initial fallout that I project:
>
> The death of eBay, Skype, and Amazon.com among other companies.
>
> A tremendous blow against all the wireless companies.
>
> A drop in stock markets around the world.
>
> Potential for a tremendous drop in the value of the U.S. dollar,
> followed by spiraling inflation.

> Of course that was about an older method. Ah, there was a great bit in that
> message, which you have to agree with but perhaps not in the intended sense:
>
> I have procrastinated, threatened, posted incomplete work, work
> full of error, and hoped, hoped, hoped that some sanity would
> intervene, but we are at the threshold, and none has.
>

> > I'd better tell Tim to make sure we have enough piranhas
> > in the moat.

> I don't need no stinkin' piranhas. Follow the money, Professor! A
> fundamental error in James's thinking is that billions will "be lost". Of
> course that's utter nonsense. Billions will _move_: this is a zero-sum
> game at its start. It _should_ be obvious to a smart cookie like James that
> I must be getting paid, and paid big, by the people _to_ whom these billions
> will flow. So long as I'm helping these greedy bastards get filthy rich by
> lying my ass off to persuade a gullible public that Surrogate Factoring
> attempt #27 is no threat to 1024-bit integers, they in turn make _damn_ sure
> I'm one of the best-protected guys on the planet.

This smells of a long con. You better believe me, Tim Peters,
if fake-"Henry Gale", Hanso or Widmore ever read sci.math, you
just might get abducted and end up on some island in the
South Pacific.

Be careful. Be very vey careful.

David Bernier

> I don't know what arrangement you've made with the Council of 33, and being
> an academic I suppose you may be doing this because you actually believe all
> that "pure math" guff. Hmm. Tell you what: if you need protection, let me
> know. I'm not even half as evil as my masters, and, frankly, I'm tired of
> sharing the bathroom with all these bodyguards anyway. Up in that ivory
> tower you may not realize how the real world works, such as that angry
> peasants can use their pitchforks to effectively pole vault over piranha
> moats. These guys know _all_ that stuff.
>

> > I love sci.math. As I've said before, you couldn't pay
> > for entertainment like this.

> That's a funny thing about "free" entertainment. While what you say is
> true, if I had to pay for this I wouldn't buy it :-)

Date Subject Author
6/4/06
Read SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Doug Schwarz
6/5/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/5/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Doug Schwarz
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Christopher J. Henrich
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gib Bogle
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Proginoskes
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/6/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Matthijs Hebly
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gordon Burditt
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Sebastian Gottschalk
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
dkguru
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Ed Weir \(ComCast\)
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Abstract Dissonance
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Andrew Swallow
gjedwards@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Gib Bogle
6/6/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
TC
6/6/06
marc.t.davies@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
gjedwards@gmail.com
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
William L. Bahn
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Richard Henry
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Salami Man
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Bob Marlow
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Bob Marlow
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
none
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
rossum
6/5/06
Read Re: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
jshsucks@yahoo.com
[...]
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David C. Ullrich
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Jesse F. Hughes
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David C. Ullrich
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Bertie Reed
6/6/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/6/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/7/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
JAMES HARRIS
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Jose Carlos Santos
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Rick Decker
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
david250@gmail.com
6/9/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
marcus_b
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Richard Henry
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
jshsucks@yahoo.com
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Paul Sperry
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
LarryLard
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Denis Feldmann
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David C. Ullrich
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Moran
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
David Bernier
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/8/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Proginoskes
6/10/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/10/06
Read Re: JSH: SF: Finally, surrogate factoring
Tim Peters
6/6/06
Read Respect
gjedwards@gmail.com