Topic: help with statistics
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 22, 2006 6:20 AM

Jerry Dallal

Re: help with statistics

Natalie Vivien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a bachelor degree in Statistics and I am looking for
> statistics-related job. The trouble is I don't seem to be able to apply
> much. For example, I took Survey Methodology and I learnt about
> stratification and clustering but I didn't know how to design a
> questionnaire. I took experimental design but i do not how to go about
> conducting a randomised controlled trial and acheiving the outcomes. I
> wonder whether it is because I do not have the aptitude or what.
>
> May I know whether u have encountered this problem? I really like what
> I studied and I hope to do what I like.
>
> Will it because my knowledge acquired at bachelor is not adequate for
> application? I really hope to learn more how to do it and be given
> chances to learn with guidance.
>
> Are there any recommendations of applied statistics with a CD rom
> containing data sets that I can use? Currently, I have several job
> interviews as a biostatistician which requires me to know randomised
> controlled experiments (that's how I know about such a thing) and as a
> health service statistician.
>
> I found a job doing qualitative analysis but is this to do with
> Statistics?
>
> I hope I have posted in the right group (this is about education,
> right?) and I hope to hear from some kind and helpful souls out there.
>
> Thanks! :)

One *does* have to eat, but think of your bachelors degree as a
beginning not an end. Given what you've expressed here, you should get
a masters degree in biostatistics. There is no shortage of
organizations that would bid for your services ESPECIALLY if you've got
good writing skills.