Topic: Meta-analysis of correlations when raw data are available
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 29, 2006 5:53 AM

Gary

Re: Meta-analysis of correlations when raw data are available

If you have all the raw data and it has been collected under comparable
conditions (metaanalysis is mainly used to combine the results of more
than one separate study) then just combine all the data and calculate
the correlations you are interested in. Your sample size will be large
and presumably you can have great confidence in the resulting
correlation coefficients.

A difficulty may arise if the conditions under which the data were
collected are different in the different studies you are trying to
combine, and then you are back in standard metaanalysis territory - how
to render disparate studies as comparable as possible. I presume then
it would be better to calculate correlations for each particular study
and to exclude from your analysis those studies that used very
different procedures.

Lance