Topic: Student-t distribution - profound or biased?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 3, 2006 3:35 PM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: Student-t distribution - profound or biased?

I've been a bad boy here. You were completely correct to put me right,
but I was sufficiently vague so that you couldn't actually say I was
wrong, where if you had read my mind you would know that I was wrong,
because what I was trying to say is that the "sytematic underestimate"
property is why we divide by n-1 instead of n - but I am wrong because
the n-1 is already in the definition of both the variance and the
standard deviation.

But by accident it looks like I was right, because in a way you are
saying that just because something is an unbiased estimator doesn't make
it necessarily a good estimator, because if you take its square root it
is no longer unbiased.

Old Mac User wrote:
> Under virtually all circumstances, the sample variance is an unbiased
> estimate of the population variance. (Extreme exception: a distribution
> that has infinite variance... strictly a theoretical sort of thing not
> found in practice.)

...and indeed this is a nice example, because if the distribution does
have infinite variance, then the sample variance is still an unbiased
estimator (i.e. its expected value is infinity), but it clearly
systematically underestimates.